This is a blog for the community of Geography 170: "Geographies of Violence in the Age of Empire" in the Department of Geography at the University of California, Berkeley. This course explores a range of answers to the question: How might geographical thinking be used to critically explore new forms of violence and empire?


Dec 8, 2010

Bomb Burning in California Home

Hi Everyone,

I realize that everyone is in the depths of papers and finals, but I was following the developments of this story and found it relevant to our discussions on issues surrounding the bomb and nuclear facilities. The amount of effort, funding, evacuations and so forth surrounding a house full of home made bombs and materials highlights the massive needs of funding and effort that are needed to address the much larger issue of nuclear test sites and toxic dump sites. The burning of this house is expected to release toxic chemicals into the air surrounding air in a mile radius, and stories note the wind watch advisory for the day of the burn reminds me of the miscalculated wind measurements in the nuclear testing in the Bikini atolls.


http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/12/03/131755637/-bomb-factory-in-california-home-leads-to-state-of-emergency

2 comments:

RB said...

I was also interested in this news story too, but for a different reason than you. I am from the San Diego region where the house burning was taking place and I've wondered if living in a city that is dominated by the Navy impact the psyches of the surrounding population? Most people that I spoke to from home cared little about this story and this got me wondering as to whether it was due solely to apathy that the people didn't care or could it be due to a kind of normalization of weaponry and military due to the prominence of the military in the area?

Jessica O. said...

I got similar responses from home as well. I am from San Deigo as well, and most of my family grew up near the Navy base, so I found it interesting as they felt the normality of the situation as well. Although last i was there, there was a protest group formed against the nuclear waste transportation that drives right through our neighborhoods in Point Loma. So I was pleased to see there was some increased awareness over the years.